Bavarian State Painting Collections
The Bavarian State Painting Collections (Bayerischen Staatsgemäldesammlungen) are the municipal authority that succeeded the Central Painting Gallery Administration (Centralgemäldegaleriedirektion) founded in 1799, because the stock of paintings in the possession of the Wittelsbach family had grown substantially after they had inherited the galleries of Mannheim and Zweibrücken.
Soon after this, the stock was even further extended in the beginning of the 19th century due to the secularization and the transfer of the gallery in Düsseldorf. This meant that new locations had to be found. From 1777 to 1782, a new gallery was erected in the Court Garden of the Residence for the paintings that had so far been kept in the Schleissheim New Palace. Subsequently, from 1826 to 1836 the buildings for the Old Pinacotheca (Alte Pinakothek) and starting with 1853 for the New Pinacotheca (Neue Pinakothek) were erected, the latter serving for the "contemporary" art of this period (destroyed in 1944/45). After 1919, the then rather modern paintings of the second half of the 19th century were exhibited in an art exhibition complex at Königsplatz, which further on was called "The New State Gallery" (Neue Staatsgalerie).
After World War II, the west wing of the House of the Arts (Haus der Kunst) was used as a provisional gallery for the masterpieces of all former State Gallery buildings. In 1957, the paintings of the Old Masters were transferred to the restored Old Pinacotheca, and when in 1981 the newly erected New Pinacotheca opened for paintings of the 19th century, the provisional gallery turned into the "State Gallery for Modern Art" (Staatsgalerie moderner Kunst), presenting the art of the 20th century. In 2002, the collection moved into the newly opened Pinacotheca of Modern Times (Pinakothek der Moderne), where it found a permanent home near the Old and New Pinacothecas in Munich’s museum quarter under the name of "Modern Arts Collection" (Sammlung Moderne Kunst). In 2009, the Brandhorst Museum opened, exhibiting the Udo and Anette Brandhorst collection, and in the same year the Schack collection, which had been transferred to the gallery building on Prinzregentenstrasse in 1909 and has been part of the Bavarian State Painting Collections since 1939, celebrated its 100th anniversary.
The profile of the collections of the Bavarian State Painting Collections has changed over the years and today the term "painting collections" can hardly be applied any longer. While the stock did indeed exclusively consist of paintings up to the 18th century, the collections of the New Pinacotheca also exhibit works of sculptural art; as for the collections of the 20th and 21st centuries, the traditional genres have lost their predominant role, thus complying to a concept of art that has substantially changed: Besides paintings, the Modern Arts Collection also exhibits items of photography and sculpture and presents video art and spatial installations.
The Bavarian State Painting Collections in bavarikon
There are branch galleries of the Bavarian State Painting Collections all over Bavaria. Some of them date back to the early 19th century, when after secularization the need arose to find new locations in the whole kingdom for the extensive possessions of artwork the state took over. Some of these galleries (like Bamberg and Augsburg) even predate the Old Pinacotheca. Since their reorganization in the 1960es and 1970es, they present collections of high quality that are relevant for the respective regions or towns.
Ansbach Residence State Gallery
Aschaffenburg State Gallery
Augsburg Katharinenkirche State Gallery
Staatsgalerie in der Katharinenkirche
Bamberg State Gallery
Bayreuth State Gallery
Burghausen State Gallery
Burg zu Burghausen
Burg Nr. 48
Füssen State Gallery
Neuburg State Gallery
86633 Neuburg an der Donau
Ottobeuren State Gallery
Schleissheim State Gallery
Würzburg State Gallery