Plan zu einem neuen Kirchturm für die Pfarrkirche Albaching, 1811
Today’s early classicist parish church of St. Nicholas in Albaching (Rosenheim district) was built in 1790, incorporating the enclosing walls of the Gothic chancel and other parts of the smaller predecessor building, based on a design by Mathias Rösler, a master mason in Erding. When the old west tower, which was also retained, was damaged by lightning in 1798, it too had to be renewed. In 1811, Johann Sonner, a carpenter and foreman in Kaidach (Wasserburg district, today Erding district), drew a plan "based on the latest architecture". According to this, the new tower structure would have had four triangular gables and an octagonal helmet roof in classical style. The construction of the helmet roof and belfry is depicted with particular care. Financing the venture proved difficult and could only be raised through donations from parishioners. In 1812, the master mason Matthias Egger (1760-1819) from The Hague built a low curved tower dome with a lantern finial. This much less elaborate planning was decisively influenced by the architect Gustav Vorherr (1778-1847), at that time district building inspector at the government of the Isar district, later one of the Kingdom of Bavaria’s most influential building officials.