Facebook

Contact

Landesamt für Digitalisierung, Breitband und Vermessung
Alexandrastraße 4
80538 München

Telephone: +49 (0)89/2129-1111
Fax: +49 (0)89/2129-1113
E-mail: service@geodaten.bayern.de

Map

Links

The Landesamt für Digitalisierung, Breitband und Vermessung

On 19 June 1801, the foundation of the Topographisches Bureau (Topographic Office) as an authority for the administration of Bavarian land surveys marked the birth of a systematic ordnance survey of Bavaria. In 1808, the first cadastral survey followed, motivated by the necessity of a consistent taxation of property and land.

Until 1930, ordnance survey and cadastre were separate institutions. In 1915, the Katasterbüro (Cadastre Office) was renamed "Landesvermessungsamt" (Office of Ordnance Survey) until it became the "Landesamt für Vermessung und Geoinformation" (State Office for Survey and Geoinformation) in 2005. The Topographisches Büro had been renamed "Topographische Zweigstelle des Landesvermessungsamts" (Topographic Branch of the Office for Survey) in 1930 (the name was suspended in 1937) and affiliated to the State Office. 2013 it had been renamed "Landesamt für Digitalisierung, Breitband und Vermessung" (Agency for Digitisation, High-Speed Internet and Surveying).

The indispensability of ordnance survey and cadastre for citizens, economy, administration and science remains unchanged. Today, the Bavarian Landesamt für Vermessung defines itself as a modern day service with a legal mandate to completely register and document the basic geodata of a land area of 70,000 km² and to make this constantly updated information available for users in a cost-effective way according to their needs. Today more than ever, a modern state is dependant on geometrically exact records and end-to-end documentation of its complete territory in order to organize all aspects of life in a limited area and to avoid damages to the environment.

The Landesamt für Digitalisierung, Breitband und Vermessung is also in the possession of the world’s largest and heritage-protected archive of lithographic stones consisting of over 26,000 limestone printing plates used up to the twentieth century for copying and further elaborating plans and maps. It also owns the copperplates for Michael Wening’s (1645–1718) Historico-topographico Descriptio.

Collections owned by the Landesamt für Digitalisierung, Breitband und Vermessung available on bavarikon