The Staatliche Münzsammlung München

The tasks of the Staatliche Münzsammlung (State Coin Collection) include the collecting, conservation, processing and display of the testimonials of monetary history and of related fields for all regions and eras with Bavaria as its important focus. The Staatliche Münzsammlung offers its permanent display as well as temporary special exhibitions, guided tours, events for school classes and students, lectures and a public special library to its audience.

The Staatliche Münzsammlung originated with Duke Albrecht V von Bayern (1550–1579). In connection with the Kunstkammer founded by Albrecht a collection of coins was started and continued under his successor. The Palatine Wittelsbachs also brought together a collection of coins. For example, Elector Johann Wilhelm (1690–1716) acquired the collection comprising 10,000 pieces of cut stones owned by Johann Smetius. After the Palatine Wittelsbachs had adopted the Bavarian electoral dignity in the year 1777, the Palatine and the Bavarian coin collections were united. Franz Ignaz Streber (1758–1841) became the administrator of this collection, which for the first time received scientific care. During secularisation, the monastic coin collections as well as other holdings came into the hands of the Bavarian State.

In the year 1807, the coin cabinet was taken under the administrative care of the Bavarian Akademie der Wissenschaften (Academy of Sciences). During the first half of the nineteenth century, the collection experienced its greatest increase. In 1811/12, the collections of Coelestin Steiglehner and the complete collection of the French diplomat Cousinéry could be purchased.

Of great importance were the sponsorship of the crown prince and later king, Ludwig I (1825–1848). Together with the great museums and collections, the coin collection as well experienced a rich expansion of its holdings as the result of Ludwig's initiative and means. During his travels in Italy, the crown prince looked for interesting collections and afterwards arranged the purchase. This way, the collections of ancient Sicilian coins of the Longo brothers and the Fulda collection of Ignaz Hinkelbein (1764–1829) came to Munich. Additional important collections could be acquired in their entirety during the nineteenth century, for example in 1835 the Woschitka collection, the nucleus of which constitutes coinage minted by all branches of the Wittelsbach family, as well as the substantial Wittelsbach collection of Johann Beierlein (1802–1878) after 1878.

For the twentieth century, among the important collections, the large collection of ancient cut stones owned by the archaeologist Paul Arndt (1865–1937) needs to be mentioned, which in 1956 was acquired from the estate of crown prince Rupprecht (1869–1955).

The coin collection was taken from the Academy building, which had been completely destroyed in 1944, and has been, after temporary accommodation, located since 1963 in the newly appointed rooms in the Residenz München (Munich Residence). With over 300,000 objects, the Munich collection is one of the most important of its kind also internationally. The collection is growing constantly through acquisitions, donations and permanent loans.

Collections owned by the Staatliche Münzsammlung available on bavarikon

Exhibitions with the participation of the Staatliche Münzsammlung available on bavarikon


Staatliche Münzsammlung München
Residenzstraße 1
80333 München

Telephone: +49 (0)89/227221
Fax: +49 (0)89/299859