im Bildungscampus Nürnberg
Phone: +49 (0)911/231-7565
The Stadtbibliothek Nürnberg (Nuremberg City Library) counts among the eldest institutions of its kind. The nucleus of its holdings has its origins in the Ratsbibliothek (Council Library), mentioned for the first time in 1370, as well as in eight different monastic libraries once distributed over the city's territory, which were absorbed by the imperial city council after the introduction of the reformation in 1525 and after the monastic institutions had been dissolved. These holdings were brought together in c. 1543 in the former Dominican monastery directly next to the city hall. This new municipal library was open to the public and thus fulfilled essential requests, which Martin Luther (1483–1546) had formulated in his 1524 missive "An die Ratsherren aller Städte deutschen Landes" (To the councillors in all German cities). As the result of the handover of works of art, astronomical instruments and scientific objects, the council developed its library in the direction of a kunst- and wunderkammer; these pieces are now held by the museums of the city of Nuremberg as well as by the Germanisches Nationalmuseum (German National Museum).
The inventory was expanded by means of dedicatory volumes directed at the city council as well as through private libraries and Norica collections (with a focus on Nuremberg) owned by patricians, scholars and citizens resident in the city. Important extensions were the acquisition of the library of the municipal physician Georg Palma (1543–1591), of the patrician family Paumgärtner, of the bibliophile theologian Adam Rudolf Solger (1693–1770) and of the Melanchthon-specialist Georg Theodor Strobel (1736–1794) as well as the estate of letters left behind by the humanist Willibald Pirckheimer (1470–1530). Through the purchase of the substantial Norica collections of the professor from Altdorf, Georg Andreas Will (1727–1798), in 1792 and of the merchant Georg Paul Amberger (1789–1844) in 1844, the Stadtbibliothek started to establish collections of books, journals, newspapers, brochures, series of views, maps, genealogica, autographs and decedents' estates concerning the municipal and civic history of Nuremberg. During WWII, the library suffered only small losses. The inventory, which was compiled during a period of almost 650 years in close connection with its place of origin, has considerable value as source and memorial.
Between 1921 and 1973, the Stadtbibliothek was developed into a scientific universal library. The Fränkische Literatursammlung (collection of Franconian literature) was founded in that period and has ever since been looked after. Fused with the former Volksbücherei (public library) in 1973 and merged with the centre for education in 2011, the section Historisch-Wissenschaftliche Stadtbibliothek (Historical Scientific Municipal Library) continues the main tasks of a regional library. They include the supply, developments and preservation of the old inventory as well as the documentation of publications from and concerning Nuremberg and by authors born or resident in Franconia that ought to be as complete as possible.
After the destruction of the Dominican monastery in 1945, the academic Stadtbibliothek moved in 1956 into the newly built Pellerhaus on Egidienplatz. Since the 2012 move to the renovated Luitpoldhaus on Gewerbemuseumsplatz, the intensive display of the library’s own holdings can once more be undertaken at a level reached in the 1950s and 60s.