The Staatsgalerie in der Katharinenkirche Augsburg
The gallery, founded post-1806 and established in the Katharinenkirche in 1835, is the oldest branch gallery of the Bayerische Staatsgemäldesammlungen. It includes paintings from the Augsburg and Swabian schools of the Late Middle Ages and of the Early Renaissance, the great era of Augsburg painting. Numerous works were created on behalf of patrician families for the churches and monasteries of the old imperial city, among others also for the Katharinenkloster (St. Catherine's Convent). The collection's focus is on Dürer's portrait of Jakob Fugger der Reiche and on a series of paintings of the seven Roman basilicas by Hans Holbein the Elder, by Hans Burgkmair and by the monogramist L. F.
The Staatsgalerie is located in the Katharinenkirche Augsburg, and may be accessed through the Schaezlerpalais (Schaezler Palace).
The Schaezlerpalais was built for the banker Benedikt Adam Liebert v. Liebenhofen (1730-1810) by the Munich court architect Karl Albert von Lespilliez (1723-1796). In 1958, it was donated to the city of Augsburg. The building has been used as museum since 1945.
The Staatsgalerie in the Katharinenkirche Augsburg is affiliated to the Bayerische Staatsgemäldesammlungen (Bavarian State Paintings Collections).