Catalogues of the Art Exhibitions in the Munich Glaspalast 1869-1931
The exhibition catalogues from the years 1869 to 1931 presented here as digital copies document the Munich annual exhibitions and international art exhibitions organized by the Munich Artists' Cooperative, which took place in the Munich Glaspalast (Glass Palace) built in 1854 and destroyed by fire in 1931.
Originally, the so-called Glaspalast in the Botanical Garden was planned as a temporary exhibition building for the General German Industrial Exhibition, but King Max II (1811-1864) decided to continue the "architectural work of art". In addition to the major international art exhibitions, which presented all contemporary trends (since 1869), annual exhibitions of international magnitude took place from 1889. The decision to organize annual exhibitions arose from the need to create an exhibition in Munich of the kind already held in Berlin, Vienna and Paris.
The virtual collection was created on the basis of the holdings of the Monacensia, Library and Literature Archive of the City of Munich, and the Zentralinstitut für Kunstgeschichte (Central Institute for Art History) and comprises over 14,000 pages, including numerous illustrations. Many of the catalogues have been published in various editions and have usually been enriched with additional exhibits and information.