Museum Tucherschloss und Hirsvogelsaal, HI Gl 001
Lidded goblet made of glass depicting Simmelsdorf
Like many patrician families, the Tuchers had their stately homes in the Nuremberg area immortalised on representative household objects, for example on drinking vessels. For example, a view of the Tucher castle in Simmelsdorf is applied using a fine glass-cutting technique on this lidded goblet.
The goblet has a round foot with a laurel wreath as decoration, above which rises a hollow, slender baluster supporting the bell-shaped bowl. The high domed lid with high baluster knob is decorated with a leaf wreath with blossoms. The body shows the coat of arms of the Tucher family on one side and a view of the Weiherhaus on the other. The residential tower with half-timbered gable stands on a small island in the middle of a pond. The building can only be reached via a covered bridge, next to which a barge lies on the shore. In the background you can see the village and fields.
The glass was cut by the Nuremberg glass cutter Hermann Schwinger, who is particularly known for his fine and detailed cutting. The barge and residential tower are reflected in the pond surrounded by trees and bushes, with the water surface rippling slightly. The master left his signature on the body of the bowl. His landscape was probably based on graphic artwork by J.C. Renner about 1650.