The Staatliche Graphische Sammlung München (State Collection of Prints and Drawings Munich) originally dates back to the copperplate engraving and drawing cabinet established by Elector Karl Theodor (1742-1799 Elector Palatine, Elector Palatine of Bavaria from 1777) at Mannheim Palace in 1758. The holdings were transferred to Munich just before 1800.
Alongside the cabinets in Berlin and Dresden, the collection preserves the most important collection of drawings and prints in Germany and is one of the world’s leading graphic cabinets. Its holdings of over 400,000 sheets cover all periods of the art of drawing and printmaking from the 12th century to the 21st century. The focus is on old German 15th and 16th century prints, Dutch art from the "Golden Age", Italian drawings particularly from the Renaissance, German Baroque and 19th century drawings, US-American art from the post-war period and international graphic modern art.
Until 1917, the prints and drawings collection was housed in the Alte Pinakothek, and from 1917 to 1944 in the Neue Pinakothek’s former building. After its destruction, it was temporarily housed in 1949 in the NSDAP’s former administration building, the so-called Haus der Kulturinstitute (House of Cultural Institutes), where it is still located today. Interested visitors have the opportunity to view works from the collection in the study room. Its exhibition rooms are located in the Pinakothek der Moderne.