Altbayerische Legenden

Bayerische Staatsbibliothek


The painter (1865-1942), who lived in Munich, made her début in 1890 with a painting at Munich's Glaspalast and was repeatedly represented there with works including portraits of the poets Paul Heyse (1830-1914) and Gabriele Reuter (1859-1941). She gradually turned to poetry and wrote verse stories, novellas and historical novels. Helene Raff had been involved in the bourgeois women's movement since the 1890s; she joined the Verein für Fraueninteressen founded in Munich (1894) in 1899 and the female writers' association founded by Emma Haushofer-Merk (1854-1925) and Carry Brachvogel (1864-1942) in 1913. After the First World War, Helene Raff mainly published local and popular legends: Her works focused on the transformation of the role of women in the present from the beginning. From 1923 to 1933 she ran the Münchner Neueste Nachrichten's women's supplement, in 1938 she was able to publish her autobiography. This edition of the "Alt-Bayerische Legenden" was published in 1925: "The people's supernatural world reflects in the legend, even more than in the myth." (p. 5) These include "Vom hl. Blut bei Erding" (Heilig Blut near Erding – p. 21), "Das Marienbild zu Ingolstadt" (Effigy of the Virgin Mary in Ingolstadt – p. 26), "Der Menschenfuß zu Freising" (The Human Foot in Freising – p. 47), "Die Gründung Tegernsees" (The Foundation of Lake Tegernsee – p. 62), "Der Teufel in der Bierschenke" (The Devil in the Alehouse – p. 81) or "Das versunkene Schloß im Lech" (The Sunken Castle in Lech – p. 86). Datum: 2019


Peter Czoik

Rights Statement Description