The New Residenz of the Bamberg Prince-Bishops was begun in 1613. The two wings on the cathedral square were built by Johann Leonhard Dientzenhofer in 1697-1703. The palace has over 40 state rooms featuring stucco-work ceilings, furniture and tapestries from the 17th and 18th centuries. Painted on the walls of the Emperor's Hall are 16 larger than life-sized portraits of emperors, the work of Melchior Steidl. The Elector's Rooms, the Prince-Bishop's Apartments and the gallery with old German and baroque paintings (Branch of the Bavarian State Galleries) are of particular interest and there is a fine view from the Rose Garden in the Residenz courtyard.