Facebook

Markgräfliches Opernhaus About the Object

The Opera House, built between 1746 and 1750, is one of the few remaining 18th-century theatre buildings in europe. The interior of this theatre with its tiers of boxes, made entirely of wood, was designed by Guiseppe Galli Bibiena from Bologna, the most important theatre architect of his day. The Margravial Opera House was added to UNESCO's World Heritage list in 2012. Margravine Wilhelmine, a sister of Friedrich der Große (Frederick the Great), was very involved in the theatre, writing plays, composing and acting, and was director of the court opera from 1737.