Burg Lauenstein About the Object

The oldest sections of this hilltop castle originate from the 12th century. In 1551-1554 the Lords of Thyna built a highly modern Renaissance Palace with striking corner towers which bears witness to their political importance in the Electorate of Saxony. In 1896 the neglected building was privately restored in the late Historicist style by Dr. Erhard Messmer, who also refurnished the interior. After it was sold to the state of Bavaria in 1962, the Bavarian Palace Department renovated the castle and opened it as a museum showing Messmer’s collections. On display in addition to armour, weapons and traditional furniture are special exhibitions of historical locks and keys, lamps and musical instruments.