Linderhof Palace, the "Royal Villa" of Ludwig II, originated as a hunting lodge belonging to his father Maximilian II – the "Königshäuschen". It was enlarged by Georg Dollmann between 1870 and 1872 with a U-shaped complex centred on the King's Bedchamber. Like its predecessor, the new building was a wooden post-and-infill construction. It was not until 1874 that the exterior façade was clad in stone, and the old hunting lodge was taken down and rebuilt in the park. The palace was then completed with the Hall of Mirrors and Staircase and furnished in the style of the "second Rococo" period. The palace park was laid out from 1870 to 1880 from plans by Carl von Effner. Surrounding the palace are garden sections in imitation baroque style and terraces and cascades reminiscent of Italian Renaissance gardens. The adjoining landscape garden merges into the alpine forests of the Ammergebirge. Ludwig II decorated the park and its environs with architectural features conjuring up the world of the Orient, such as the Moorish Kiosk and the Moroccan House, or scenes from Wagner's operas, such as the Venus Grotto, Hunding's Hut and the Gurnemanz Hermitage. The exhibition in the King’s Cottage covers topics such as the building’s origins as a farm, its use by the royal family and its significance as a planning office for Ludwig II’s many building projects.