Bayrischer Defiliermarsch

Preview image
Forschungsstelle für fränkische Volksmusik


Performers: The music corps of the Royal Bavarian 14th Infantry Regiment in Nuremberg was led from 1901 to 1919 by Emil Burow (1853-1943), one of the most famous military musicians in Franconia.

Label: Heinrich Klenk from Hanau registered the Klingsor trademark in 1906, initially for speaking machines. The record label was discontinued in 1914.

Title: The creator of the "Bayerischer Defiliermarsch" was the royal Bavarian music master Jacob Philipp Adolph Scherzer (1815-1863), scion of a Franconian musician dynasty. The march, which Scherzer probably simply named the "Parademarsch"” and which was originally only played by his regiment’s military band, was initially only passed on in handwritten form. In 1892 it appeared for the first time anonymously in print in "Berühmte Kriegs- u. Siegesklänge aus allen Ländern und Zeiten" (Famous Sounds of War and Victory from all Countries and Times), soon several prints appeared with different publishers with different titles for different instrumentations. The record of the march described on the label as "Bayrischer Defiliermarsch" with military musicians from the 14th Bavarian Infantry Regiment under the direction of Emil Burow was pressed between 1911 and 1914. By this time, the march had long since become popular. The music corps does not play at full strength during the recording, but in a small line-up. There is no documentation of the arrangement used. Errors in the composer’s and conductor’s names may be due to them being communicated incorrectly to the record company or to typing errors in label production.