Kanne (Gefäß)

Töpfermuseum Thurnau


Günther Stüdemann (1890-1981), founder of the Thurnau Pottery Museum, leased the closed-down Pittroff pottery in Thurnau in 1940. The kiln of the pottery that had been empty for more than 10 years, a classic wood-fired "crossdraught Cassel-type kiln", was no longer serviceable. Stüdemann took this as an opportunity to put the first electric kiln in Thurnau into operation – an innovation that was soon adopted by the other potters in Thurnau due to the comparatively easy operation of these kilns.

In contrast to the existing Thurnau workshops, Stüdemann produced not only simple utility crockery but also individually designed decorative ceramics that mark the transition from handicraft to arts and crafts. He experimented with different decors and glazes.

The jug in the shape of a bird with the inventory number 1379 was manufactured in 1965 and signed by Günther Stüdemann with G.ST. Manganese, chromium and copper oxide were applied with a brush to a white opaque tin oxide glaze using the faience painting technique. The vessel was then fired at 1010 degrees Celsius in an electric kiln in a reducing atmosphere with the absence of air.