Staatsgalerie im Schloss Johannisburg
Telephone: +49 (0)6021/386570
The paintings gallery at Schloss Johannisburg is essentially based on the original collection of Friedrich Karl von Erthal, the last Elector and Archbishop of Mainz. The collection still attests to the taste and collecting aims of the elector: genre painting, Flemish and German landscape painting. It was enriched by the impressive Passion series by Aert de Gelder, Rembrandt’s last student, from the gallery of Cathedral Provost Hugo Franz von Eltz. At the centre of the old-German gallery are numerous works by Lucas Cranach the Elder and by his school.
Schloss Johannisburg, located in the city centre of Aschaffenburg, was the second residence of the elector-archbishops of Mainz until 1803. The four-winged complex was built under Elector-Archbishop Johann Schweikard von Kronberg (1553-1626). The interior of the castle was designed by the architect Emanuel Joseph von Herigoyen (1746-1817) in classicist style. The castle suffered severe damage during the war. The first showrooms and collections were reopened in 1964.
The Staatsgalerie Aschaffenburg is affiliated to the Bayerische Staatsgemäldesammlungen (Bavarian State Paintings Collections).