The Staatsarchiv Coburg (Coburg State Archive) is the government authority for all matters related to archive studies in the town and district of Coburg. It opened in 1939 as the successor of the Bamberg State Archive’s department of state registries at Ehrenburg Palace, which had been established in 1924. In 1973, it also assumed responsibility for the Landesarchive (District Archive) of Coburg, formerly the Staats- und Hausarchiv (State and Home Archive) of Saxe-Coburg, which was integrated as an independent stock.
The archive’s responsibility includes the independent city and the district of Coburg along with all government authorities and courts, even when their authority goes beyond the limits of the district (e.g. district court, public prosecution department, finance authority, land surveying office, employment agency, and trade supervisory authority).
As a historical heritage, it is responsible for the former Duchy of Saxe-Coburg and its predecessors (New Lordship of the Counts of Henneberg, Saxonian borderland in Franconia, Coburg under the Regency, Principality of Coburg) as well as the Free State of Coburg which was created after the dissolution of the personal union of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha in 1919, until it became part of the Free State of Bavaria in 1920.
For public use, the current terms of the general regulations for the use of the Bavarian State Archives from 16 January 1990 (GVBl p. 6) apply, which also lay down the fees that are due.
The Staatsarchiv Coburg is subordinate to the Generaldirektion der Staatlichen Archive Bayerns (Directorate General of the Bavarian State Archives).