The Alte Pinakothek is a paintings gallery in Munich. It is affiliated to the Bayerische Staatsgemäldesammlungen (Bavarian State Paintings Collections). The Alte Pinakothek exhibits works of European painting from the fourteenth to the eighteenth centuries.
The Archäologische Staatssammlung München (Archaeological Collection of the Bavarian State) was founded in 1885. With its five departments (Prehistoric, Roman Period, Middle Ages, the Mediterranean, Numismatics), its permanent exhibition, conservation studios and depots it forms the central state museum. Its rich holdings of archaeological finds provide comprehensive insights into the diversity of early human existence.
The Bayerische Staatsbibliothek (Bavarian State Library), which was founded in 1558, is one of the most important European universal libraries and enjoys worldwide renown as international research library. Today, the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek acts as treasure trove of cultural heritage, as provider of academic multimedia information and as innovator in the field of digital services and it is one of the foremost national and international ports of call for researchers, for students as well as for all those in general who are seeking information.
The Bayerische Staatsgemäldesammlungen (Bavarian State Painting Collections) are responsible for a substantial part of the painting and art collection of the Free State of Bavaria as well as the corresponding museums in Munich: the Alte Pinakothek, the Neue Pinakothek, the Modern Art Collection in the Pinakothek der Moderne, the Schack Collection and thirteen State Galleries throughout Bavaria. The stock includes more than 30,000 works of art, especially Paintings, but also sculptures, photographs and installations.
The Bayerische Verwaltung der staatlichen Schlösser, Gärten und Seen (Bavarian Department of State-owned Palaces, Gardens and Lakes), also known as the Bayerische Schlösserverwaltung (Bavarian Palace Department), is one of the oldest administrative departments in the Free State of Bavaria with a long-standing tradition. Created as part of the court administration of electors and kings, it is today the largest public authority for museums in Germany. It is also responsible for a very special historical heritage: the variety of magnificent court gardens, palace parks, gardens and lakes. The unique ensembles of European architecture with their sumptuous artistic interiors attract over five million visitors each year from all over the world.
The Bayerischer Landtag (Bavarian State Parliament) is one of Bavaria's supreme state bodies. As such, the Parliament is at the centre of the political system of the Free State.The central tasks of the Bavarian State Parliament comprise legislation for the Free State of Bavaria, the election of the Prime Minister, the control of the government and the passing of the budget.
The Bavarian Parliament has had its seat in Munich's Maximilianeum since 1949.
The Bayerisches Hauptstaatsarchiv (Bavarian Main State Archive) was formed in 1921 by merging three key archives which had been founded in Munich in 1799 - namely the General Imperial Archive (Allgemeines Reichsarchiv), the Secret State Archive (Geheimes Staatsarchiv), and the Secret Family Archive (Geheimes Hausarchiv) - and the former District Archive of Munich (today’s Munich State Archive). After the end of World War II the records of the War Archive maintaining the heritage of the Bavarian army were affiliated to the Bavarian Main State Archive.
The administrative decree on the structure of State Archives in Bavaria issued on May 28, 1990 (GVBl, p. 175) states that the Bavarian Main State Archive is responsible for “maintaining the records of state authorities concerned with state wide affairs.” The Bavarian Main State Archive is the centralized archive for the Duchy, Electorate, Kingdom, and Free State of Bavaria.
The Bayerisches Landesamt für Denkmalpflege (Bavarian State Office for Historic Preservation) is the Free State of Bavaria's authority for the protection and preservation of Bavaria's cultural heritage. This includes the preservation of all buildings, monuments, objects and sites of historic interest as well as recording and studying them. The State Department for Non-governmental Museums is also subordinated to the Bavarian State Office for Historic Preservation.
Founded in 1855 by King Maximilian II, the Bayerisches Nationalmuseum (Bavarian National Museum) ranks among the most significant museums of art and cultural history in Europe. The core stock of artifacts originates in the art collection of the Wittelsbach dynasty. Planned and erected by Gabriel von Seidl in the style of historism, this building with its unique historical interiors is one of the most inventive and significant museums built in the years around 1900.
The Deutsches Medizinhistorisches Museum (German Museum of Medical History) is a museum of the city of Ingolstadt. The baroque building, in which the museum is housed, was built in 1723 for teaching anatomy at the Bavarian State University. It was the first new building for anatomical studies in the German-speaking world. During the course of the 500th anniversary celebration of the University of Ingolstadt-Landshut-Munich in 1972, the city of Ingolstadt acquired the "Old Anatomy" and opened in 1973 the first museum of medical history in Germany. The collection focuses on ophthalmological diagnostics, on otolaryngology, on clinical chemistry and on prints. The collection is constantly expanded to include twentieth-century medical material culture.
The Deutsches Theatermuseum (German Theatre Museum) has the task to preserve theatrical/scenic memory through its collections, which are of considerable international importance. Beyond the important tasks of collecting, preserving and analysing, the work of the museum also consists in the dissemination of information about the preserved material to the widest possible audience by way of exhibitions and publications.
Around 2,300 Catholics belong to the parish of Saint Kilian in the city centre of Würzburg. The Cathedral of Saint Kilian at Würzburg serves not only as seat of the bishopric but is also the church of the Dompfarrei (parish) of Saint Kilian in the deanery of the city of Würzburg.
Saint Anna is an Evangelical-Lutheran parish comprising around 2,400 members in the city centre of Augsburg. The eponymous parish church is the main Evangelical church of the former imperial city.
St. Johannis (Saint John) is the traditional Evangelical parish of the former free imperial city of Schweinfurt. The church building, a three-nave basilica with double transept and Gothic choir space has a building history that reaches back to the twelfth century and it is, therefore, the oldest edifice of the city still in existence. Ever since the city council accepted the Reformation in the year 1542, St. Johannis has served as the Evangelical parish church.
The Generaldirektion der Staatlichen Archive Bayerns (Directorate General of the Bavarian State Archives) was established in 1970 as a middle-level state office with statewide authority. Subordinated authorities are the Bayerisches Hauptstaatsarchiv (Bavarian Main State Archive) and regional state archives. Duties of the Generaldirektion include the centralized administrative and functional supervision of the Bavarian state archives as well as the evaluation, acquisition, classification and cataloguing of archive items according to consistent standards.
The Germanisches Nationalmuseum (German National Museum) in Nuremberg is the largest museum of cultural history in the German-speaking countries and counts among the most important museums of the world. The museum exists since 1852. The range of collections stretches from prehistory to contemporary art and culture.
The Haus der Bayerischen Geschichte (Centre of Bavarian History) was established in 1978 in Augsburg and has been a branch of the Bayerische Staatsministerium für Bildung und Kultus, Wissenschaft und Kunst (Bavarian State Ministry of Education, Science and the Arts) since 1998. The duties of the Haus der Bayerischen Geschichte mainly include providing access to the historical and cultural diversity of Bavaria in all parts of Bavaria as well as enhancing and maintaining the historical awareness in general.
The Historische Verein Neuburg an der Donau (Historical Association Neuburg an der Donau) was founded in 1833 and is one of Bavaria's oldest historical societies.The Historical Association Neuburg on the Danube collects and preserves testimonies of history, art and culture in the areas of the former principality of Pfalz-Neuburg.The acquisitions of the Historische Verein became one of Bavaria's most extensive and valuable collections, comprising objects from the fifteenth to the nineteenth centuries. Part of the collection is presented in the city museum. A further part of the collection is part of the permanent exhibition at the Schlossmuseum Neuburg (Castle Museum Neuburg).
The Historischer Verein von Oberbayern (Historical Association of Upper Bavaria) promotes historical scholarship and research on the levels of state, region and city, the preservation of cultural heritage, of history, art and culture, and disseminates the historical knowledge regarding Upper Bavaria to a wide audience. The Association was founded in 1837.
During the twentieth century, the city's numerous cultural, historical and archaeological resources acted as multiple incentives for the institution of museums dedicated to the collecting and preservation of such cultural assets in Regensburg. For this reason, the city of Regensburg decided in 1931 to transform the former Minorite monastery into a museum of cultural history.
With over 300,000 bank notes, the HVB Stiftung Geldscheinsammlung (HVB foundation: collection of bank notes) belongs to the most important collections of its kind in the world. The general collection contains paper money from every country and of all times. As a collection "in progress", it is continuously updated, i.e. any new issues worldwide are routinely acquired for the collection. It is the ambition and the aim to be able to document the entire development in the field of paper money.
The Institut für Volkskunde (Institute for European Ethnology) examines the everyday culture of Bavaria from a historical and contemporary perspective and has been affiliated to the Kommission für bayerische Landesgeschichte bei der Bayerischen Akademie der Wissenschaften (Commission for Bavarian History at the Bavarian Academy of Sciences and Humanities) since 1962. It is the only extra-university research institution for folklore in Bavaria. It has source and material collections on various folk-cultural topics, maintains a publicly accessible specialist library and publishes the "Bayerische Jahrbuch für Volkskunde" (Bavarian Yearbook for European Ethnology) as well as exemplary studies.
The library, which originates with the donation of books by the reformer, mayor and municipal physician Joachim Vadian (1484–1551), collects since its adoption by the Canton of Saint Gallen in 1979 all media relating to the Canton in order to document thereby its history and present. The collection of Sangallensia includes books, newspapers, journals as well as business reports and official pamphlets. The Sangallensia comprise all media composed by authors from the Canton, published by publishing houses from Saint Gallen or dealing with themes that refer to Saint Gallen. By means of this unique collection, the library preserves and takes care of a part of the regional historical heritage and of its cultural identity.
The Kommission für bayerische Landesgeschichte bei der Bayerischen Akademie der Wissenschaften (Commission for Bavarian Regional History at the Bavarian Academy of Sciences) was founded in 1927 as a research institution for the coordination and realisation of long-term basic research on the history of Bavaria and of its diverse parts.
The Kunstsammlungen der Veste Coburg (Art Collections of the Fortress of Coburg) are an institute belonging to the Landesstiftung Coburg (regional foundation at Coburg), founded in 1919. In 1920, the ownership of the real estate of the Veste Coburg passed to the free state of Bavaria, which bears the cost of all renovation and construction work but grants the Coburger Landesstiftung the free use of the premises. The Landesstiftung is responsible for running the museum.
The Bavarian Surveying Administration regards itself as a modern service provider with the legal mandate to provide geodata on a national area of approx. 70,000 km² and to make it available to users in the desired form in an up-to-date and cost-effective manner. In addition, the Landesamt für Digitalisierung, Breitband und Vermessung (Agency for Digitisation, High-Speed Internet and Surveying) owns the world's largest archive of lithographic stones with over 26,000 limestone printing plates, which were used until well into the twentieth century for the reproduction and continuation of plans and maps.
The Landesbibliothek Coburg (Regional Library Coburg) originated in the Ernestine (Thuringian) princely library. Until the end of 1972, it formed part of the institutions of the Coburger Landesstiftung. In 1973, the library was absorbed into the administration of the free state of Bavaria. Since then, the library belongs to the regional state libraries in Bavaria.
The Landeskirchliches Archiv der Evangelisch-Lutherischen Kirche in Bayern (regional ecclesiastical archive of the Evangelical-Lutheran Church in Bavaria, LAELKB) was founded in 1931 and constitutes the central specialised institution for any aspect of ecclesiastical archival studies within the reach of the ELKB. It heads the specialised supervision over ecclesiastical archival studies and the historical ecclesiastical libraries, supports and advises the ecclesiastical providers of archival services and record offices in all aspects that refer to archives, historical libraries and the registrar's office.
The Monacensia in the Hildebrandhaus constitutes the literary memory of the city of Munich. Since 1977, the institute of the Münchner Stadtbibliothek (Munich City Library) has been housed in the former villa of the sculptor Adolf von Hildebrand (1847-1921). The collection currently comprises around 300 literary estates and collections of writers closely associated with Munich. The Monacensia includes a public research library with a unique collection of books on the subject of Munich.
Under the title of "Museum für Franken - Staatliches Museum für Kunst- und Kulturgeschichte in Würzburg" (Museum for Franconia - State Museum for Art and Cultural History in Würzburg) and under the direction of Erich Schneider, the museum now focuses on the whole of Franconia including the history of Würzburg and expands its collection to the present day.Since 1913, the Franconian Luitpoldmuseum had existed in the Maxstraße at Würzburg. After the destruction of the building in 1945, Max H. von Freeden built the Main-Franconian Museum on the Marienberg fortress from 1946. It has been sponsored by the Free State of Bavaria since January 2017.
The Müllner-Peter-Museum (Museum to Peter, the Miller) in Aschau is dedicated to the historical personality of Peter Huber, called "Müllner Peter". He was born in 1766 in Sachrang and was a miller, farmer, musician and sheet music collector. Novels and films were created as memorial to his life.
The Münchner Stadtmuseum (Munich City Museum) opened in 1888 following an initiative of city archivist Ernst von Destouches (1843–1916). The Munich City Museum is Germany's largest municipal museum, not only due to its spaciousness, but also to the extent of its collections. The fields of the collections range from graphic art, posters and paintings – mostly with motives connected to Munich –, to fashion, textile and objects of ethnological interest to statuary art and artisan craftwork as well as a substantial collection of furniture, including the period of Art Nouveau. The department of music provides access to a comprehensive collection of musical instruments spanning all continents.
The Neue Pinakothek is a paintings gallery in Munich. It is affiliated to the Bayerische Staatsgemäldesammlungen (Bavarian State Paintings Collections). The Neue Pinakothek exhibits works of nineteenth-century European painting.
The Pinakothek der Moderne (Galery of Modern Art) is located in Munich. The Pinakothek der Moderne exhibits art, prints, architecture and design from the twentieth and twenty-first centuries.
The Sammlung Schack (Schack Collection) is a paintings gallery in Munich. It is affiliated to the Bayerische Staatsgemäldesammlungen (Bavarian State Paintings Collections). The Sammlung Schack exhibits German paintings of late Romanticism and copies of masterpieces from the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries.
The Staatliche Antikensammlungen und die Glyptothek (State Collections of Antiquities and Sculpture Gallery) belong to the internationally leading museums for ancient art. Greek, Roman and Etruscan masterworks are presented in an architectural framework initiated by the Bavarian king Ludwig I (1786–1868, r. 1825–1848). During the years 1816 to 1830, Leo von Klenze (1784–1864) created on the northern side of the Munich Königsplatz the Glyptothek with its front-hall resting on Ionian columns. South of the square, Georg Friedrich Ziebland (1800–1873) constructed between 1838 and 1848 the building with its Corinthian façade, in which the present Antikensammlungen is housed. The ensemble was finally complemented by the Propylaea to the West of the square, which Klenze erected in the Doric order between 1846 and 1860 in accordance with the model of the classical gateway to the Athenian Acropolis (fifth century).
The Staatliche Bibliothek Ansbach (State Library Ansbach) goes back to the Hausbibliothek (private library) of the margraves of Brandenburg-Ansbach, which was started in the sixteenth century. In the mid twentieth century, the former palace library was put under the general direction of the Bavarian State Libraries and, since then, belongs to the regional state libraries in Bavaria. Its premises are located inside the former Markgrafentheater (margravial theatre) of the princely residence.
The Staatliche Bibliothek Neuburg an der Donau (State Library of Neuburg upon the Danube) was founded in 1803 as Provinzialbibliothek (provincial library) in the wake of the secularisation, when it was mainly furnished with the book collections from monasteries and from the Neuburg Hofbibliothek (court library). At present, it is one of the regional Bavarian State libraries and, therefore, part of the scientific library system in Bavaria. As regional library for the administrative district Neuburg-Schrobenhausen it collects all media with a connection to the region.
The Staatliche Bibliothek Passau (State Library Passau) is a discrete agency and serves to provide city and region with scholarly and sophisticated academic material. It is open to all citizens, for the aim of research and study as well as for professional activities and personal further education. As legal deposit library for Lower Bavaria the focus of its continuously complemented inventory is on the literature from and about the region.
The Staatliche Bibliothek Regensburg (Regensburg State Library) acts as the Landesbibliothek von Regensburg und der Oberpfalz (Regensburg and Upper Palatinate Regional Library) and was founded in 1816 as the "Kreisbibliothek" (District Library). Its founding stock is based on the libraries of the Imperial City of Regensburg's dissolved institutions, including the stocks of various Regensburg monasteries, the former imperial city library and the former episcopal library. Towards the end of the 18th century, Regensburg was one of the richest library locations in the Holy Roman Empire. The Staatliche Bibliothek Regensburg consequently keeps more than 100,000 prints published before 1830, over 1,000 manuscripts and autographs as well as about 7,000 old maps. It is also an archive library for the administrative district of Upper Palatinate under the Bayerisches Pflichtstückegesetz (Bavarian Legal Deposits Law).
The Staatliche Münzsammlung (State Coin Collection) originated with Duke Albrecht V von Bayern (1550–1579). In connection with the Kunstkammer founded by Albrecht a collection of coins was started and continued under his successor. The tasks of the Staatliche Münzsammlung include the collecting, conservation, processing and display of the testimonials of monetary history and of related fields for all regions and eras with Bavaria as its important focus.
The Staatliches Museum Ägyptischer Kunst (State Museum of Egyptian Art) is one of the most important Egyptian museums worldwide. Its focus is on works of art, in particular the three-dimensional sculptural works of ancient Egypt. All eras, from pre-history over the classical periods of the Old, Middle and New Empires up to the Late Period and the Greek and Roman times are presented by means of monuments. In addition, the cultures of ancient Sudan (Nubia) as well as of the Coptic period of late antiquity are represented, complemented by Egyptianising works of art from the Roman Empire and monumental reliefs from Assyrian Mesopotamia.
The Staatsarchiv Amberg (Amberg State Archive) is the government authority for all matters related to archive studies in the administrative district of the Upper Palatinate. It dates back to the archives and registries of the government authority of Amberg of the Principality of the Upper Palatinate, up to 1621 territory of the Elector Palatine until it was ceded together with the electoral title to the Duke of Bavaria in 1621/28.
The Staatsarchiv Augsburg (Augsburg State Archive) is the government authority for all matters related to archive studies in the administrative district of Swabia. It is the successor institution for the former Staatsarchiv Neuburg an der Donau (State Archive of Neuburg on the Danube), which was transferred into the Swabian capital in autumn of 1989.
The Staatsarchiv Bamberg (Bamberg State Archive) is the government authority for all matters related to archive studies in the administrative district of Upper Franconia (except the town and district of Coburg). It dates back to the archives of the former Prince-Bishopric of Bamberg – ceded to Bavaria in 1802/03 –, to which were added the archives of Bayreuth and Plassenburg that were transferred to Bamberg between 1813 and 1818. In 1841 it was raised to the status of an archive conservatory and in 1875 it was renamed "Kreisarchiv" (District Archive) together with all the other regional state archives, until in 1921 it became the "Staatsarchiv Bamberg".
The Staatsarchiv Coburg (Coburg State Archive) is the government authority for all matters related to archive studies in the town and district of Coburg. It opened in 1939 as the successor of the Bamberg State Archive’s department of state registries at Ehrenburg Palace, which had been established in 1924. In 1973, it also assumed responsibility for the Landesarchive (District Archive) of Coburg, formerly the Staats- und Hausarchiv (State and Home Archive) of Saxe-Coburg, which was integrated as an independent stock.
The Staatsarchiv Landshut (Landshut State Archive) is the government authority for all matters related to archive studies in the administrative district of Lower Bavaria. Already under the Dukes of the dynasty that assumed regency after the line of Bavaria-Landshut had split in 1392, there are records of archives ("letter vaults") on Trausnitz Castle and in the secondary residence at Burghausen that date back to the fifteenth century. These also maintained the written material of the partial Duchy of Bavaria-Ingolstadt that was transferred from Ingolstadt and Neuburg on the Danube, when it came under the rule of Bavaria-Landshut in 1447. In the nineteenth century, the stock of various special registries was turned into a comprehensive "invoicing archive" and registry on Trausnitz Castle. This was raised to the status of an archive conservatory in 1812, and in 1875 it was renamed "Kreisarchiv" (District Archive) together with all the other regional state archives, until in 1921 it became the "Staatsarchiv Landshut".
The Staatsarchiv München (Munich State Archive) is the government authority for all matters related to archive studies in the government district of Upper Bavaria. It dates back to the registry of the Bavarian Electorate’s Court Chamber, which was taken over by the General State Administration (Generallandesdirektion) in 1799 and subsequently by the "State Administration of Bavaria" ("Landesdirektion von Baiern") in 1803. The written material was expanded by documents from dissoluted authorities. Later on, this archive turned into an archive conservatory, was renamed "Kreisarchiv" (District Archive) and "Staatsarchiv für Oberbayern" (State Archive of Upper Bavaria), until in 1971 it became an independent authority by the name of "Staatsarchiv München" and was separated from the central authority of the Bavarian State Archives.
The Staatsarchiv Nürnberg (Nuremberg State Archive) is the government authority for all matters related to archive studies in the administrative district of Middle Franconia. It dates back to the archives of the Imperial City of Nuremberg, to which was added the heritage of other mediatized and secularized administrators and institutions. The Nuremberg Archive was raised to the status of an archive conservatory in 1852 and in 1875 it was renamed "Kreisarchiv" (District Archive) together with all the other regional state archives, until in 1921 it became the "Staatsarchiv Nürnberg".
The Staatsarchiv Würzburg (Würzburg State Archive) is the government authority for all matters related to archive studies in the government district of Lower Franconia. It dates back to the archives of the Prince-Bishopric of Würzburg, a religious state that became part of the Bavarian electorate's archives in 1802/03 due to the political changes which secularization had brought along. In 1806 it became a branch of the archives of the Grand Duke of Würzburg and after 1814 it was once again a branch of the – now royal – Bavarian archives. The archive soon occupied most of the Northern wing of the Residence. It was raised to the status of an "archive conservatory" in 1852 and in 1875 it was renamed "Kreisarchiv" (District Archive) together with all the other regional state archives, until in 1921 it became the "Staatsarchiv Würzburg".
The Staatsbibliothek Bamberg (State Library Bamberg) is a general library, regional library and research library with a distinct focus on the humanities and cultural studies. Its holdings include manuscripts and old prints from the convents and monasteries of the bishopric of Bamberg, which were dissolved in 1802/03, the old University of Bamberg, which was also annulled in 1802/03, and the Court Library of Duke Karl II. August of Pfalz-Zweibrücken. Other holdings come from bequests of Bamberg citizens. Since 1987, it has been receiving statutory copies of all works published in Upper Franconia.
The Staatsgalerie Ansbach (Ansbach State Gallery) is a paintings gallery located in the Ansbach Residence. It is affiliated to the Bayerische Staatsgemäldesammlungen (Bavarian State Paintings Collections). Paintings of Flemish, Dutch and French Baroque origins are exhibited in the Ansbach State Gallery.
The Staatsgalerie Bayreuth (Bayreuth State Gallery) is a paintings gallery in the Bayreuth Neues Schloss (New Palace). It is affiliated to the Bayerische Staatsgemäldesammlungen (Bavarian State Paintings Collections). Dutch and German paintings from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries are exhibited in the Staatsgalerie Bayreuth.
The Staatsgalerie Füssen (Füssen State Gallery) is a paintings gallery at the Füssen Hohes Schloss. It is affiliated to the Bayerische Staatsgemäldesammlungen (Bavarian State Paintings Collections). Late-gothic paintings and sculptures from the Swabian-Bavarian and Allgäu regions are exhibited in the Staatsgalerie Füssen.
Die Staatsgalerie im Neuen Schloss Schleißheim is a paintings gallery in the Neues Schloss Schleißheim (Schleißheim New Palace). It is affiliated to the Bayerische Staatsgemäldesammlungen (Bavarian State Paintings Collections). In the Staatsgalerie Schleißheim, paintings of the European Baroque of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries are on display.
The Staatsgalerie Aschaffenburg (Aschaffenburg State Gallery) is a paintings gallery in Schloss Johannisburg at Aschaffenburg. It is affiliated to the Bayerische Staatsgemäldesammlungen (Bavarian State Paintings Collections). The Staatsgalerie Aschaffenburg exhibits works by German Old Masters, Dutch paintings, French and Italian Baroque and German vedutas from the eighteenth century.
The Staatsgalerie Burghausen (Burghausen State Gallery) is a paintings gallery at Burghausen Castle. It is affiliated to the Bayerische Staatsgemäldesammlungen (Bavarian State Paintings Collections). In the Staatsgalerie Burghausen, paintings from the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries from southern Germany, Bavaria and neighbouring Austria are on display.
The Staatsgalerie Augsburg (State Gallery Augsburg) is a paintings gallery at St. Catherine's Church in Augsburg. It is affiliated to the Bayerische Staatsgemäldesammlungen (Bavarian State Paintings Collections). Paintings of the Augsburg and Swabian School of the Late Middle Ages and of the Early Renaissance are on display at the Staatsgalerie Augsburg.
The Staatsgalerie Bamberg (Bamberg State Gallery) is a paintings gallery at the Bamberg New Residence. It is affiliated to the Bayerische Staatsgemäldesammlungen (Bavarian State Paintings Collections). Works of Old-German and Baroque painting are exhibited in the Staatsgalerie Bamberg.
The Staatsgalerie Würzburg (Würzburg State Gallery) is a paintings gallery at the Würzburg Residenz. It is affiliated to the Bayerische Staatsgemäldesammlungen (Bavarian State Paintings Collections). The Staatsgalerie Würzburg exhibits Venetian paintings from the Renaissance to the eighteenth century.
The Staatsgalerie Neuburg (Neuburg State Gallery) is a paintings gallery in the Residenz zu Neuburg (Neuburg Residenz). It is affiliated to the Bayerische Staatsgemäldesammlungen (Bavarian State Paintings Collections). Works of the Flemish Baroque are exhibited in the Staatsgalerie Neuburg.
The Stadtarchiv Amberg (municipal archive Amberg) constitutes the communal special agency for all queries concerning archives in the city of Amberg. It is one of the most important communal archives in Bavaria due to the completeness of its holdings.The first document preserved, bestowing or rather confirming the rights of Amberg as a city by Count Palatine Rudolf dates to the year 1294.The series of cartularies was started by the Amberg municipal court in 1379, that of the city council’s cartularies in 1432. The latter continues with small lacunae into the present and offers excellent insights into the city life as well as into the juridical development in Amberg. Collections (photos, placards, maps and plans, local newspapers, historical documentation) complement the records of the Stadtarchiv.
In addition to the holdings of the city of Burglengenfeld, the Stadtarchiv Burglengenfeld (Burglengenfeld City Archive) also preserves the records of the communities of Dietldorf, Pottenstetten, Höchensee, See, Lanzenried, Pilsheim and Büchheim, which were incorporated by the municipal area reform of the 1970s.
The Stadtarchiv München (Munich City Archive), one of the largest municipal archives in Germany, is now a department of the Board of Directors and is thus part of the remit of the Lord Mayor of the City of Munich. In addition to its official use, the archive serves scholarly, local history and family history research as well as journalistic, educational and legal purposes. The main holdings of the City Archive are the official books and files of the municipal offices. The Munich City Archive’s special focus is on the collections.
The Stadtarchiv Regensburg (City Archive Ratisbon) as "memory" of the municipal administration of Regensburg is one of the large communal archives in Bavaria. Not least because of its historical importance, it disposes of notable archival material to an extent of c. 9,500 running meters from the thirteenth century to the present. The holdings are ordered roughly chronologically and not without overlaps: the time as imperial city (up to 1803), Regensburg as part of the principality of the last arch chancellor Carl Theodor von Dalberg (1803–1810), Regensburg as Bavarian territorial city (nineteenth and early twentieth centuries) and as an independent city. In addition, there is also the section of "decedents' estates and collections".
In addition to administrative files with a volume of over 3,000 metres of shelving, the Stadtarchiv Rosenheim (Rosenheim City Archive) also holds the estates of individuals and of associations as well as extensive collections of pictures, posters, films and newspapers. The stock of photos alone comprises 30,000 positives and 350,000 negatives. As a scientific regional library, the library of the city archive contains over 36,000 volumes.
The Stadtbibliothek Nürnberg (Nuremberg City Library) counts among the eldest institutions of its kind. The nucleus of its holdings has its origins in the Ratsbibliothek (Council Library), mentioned for the first time in 1370, as well as in eight different monastic libraries once distributed over the city's territory, which were absorbed by the imperial city council after the introduction of the reformation in 1525 and after the monastic institutions had been dissolved. Between 1921 and 1973, the Stadtbibliothek was developed into a scientific universal library. In 2012 the Stadtbibliothek moved to the Luitpoldhaus on Gewerbemuseumsplatz.
The Stadtmuseum (municipal museum), housed in the Kavalier Hepp Fortress, documents the history of Ingolstadt from its beginnings to the present day. The basis of its holdings is the collection of the Historischer Verein von Ingolstadt (Historical Association of Ingolstadt), founded in 1865. Important sections consist of the Bronze Age section with an amber necklace, of the archaeological discoveries of the Celtic town near Manching as well as the mediaeval town development with the Sandtner Model dating to 1571, of the toy museum and the farmer’s tool museum as a museum branch in Hundszell.
Given its foundation in 1879, the Stadtmuseum Kaufbeuren (Kaufbeuren Municipal Museum) is one of the earliest museums with a focus on the history of a particular city in Bavarian Swabia. The 1901 exhibition "Volkskunst im Allgäu" (Folk Art in the Allgäu) which featured rural furnishings and fittings typical for the lodgings of the peasantry, was a turning point in Bavarian museum history. Parts of this exhibition are still integrated into the museum's permanent exhibition the collections of which are of national importance. The core of the collection consists of objects relating to the municipal history of Kaufbeuren, a former imperial city, as well as to folklore and to the region's history of religious piety.
The Stadtmuseum Lindau (Civic Museum Lindau) is one of the central institutions within the cultural programme of the eastern region of Lake Constance. The museum building dominating the market square is called "Zum Cavazzen" and counts as one of the most beautiful baroque townhouse of the region near Lake Constance.
The Studienbibliothek Dillingen (Dillingen Research Library) serves as regional state library for the provision with academic literature for research, study, professional work and personal education to the region of Northern Bavaria.
The Universitätsbibliothek Augsburg (University Library Augsburg) is a central institution of the university of Augsburg and the greatest academic library in the Swabian district of Bavaria. Its largest audience consists of the students, scholars and teachers of the University of Augsburg. All other users interested in the books, journals and additional media are welcome.
The Universitätsbibliothek München (University Library of the Ludwig Maximilian University, Munich) is the central media and information supplier of the Ludwig Maximilian University. Its holdings of almost five million volumes is one of the largest of the university library systems in Germany. The Universitätsbibliothek München comprises also over 3,300 manuscripts, 3,600 incunabula, over 180 decedents' estates, numerous special collections and c.475,000 prints, published between 1501 and 1900, and thus a highly notable historical book inventory, the second largest in the free state of Bavaria.
The Universitätsbibliothek (University Library) Eichstätt-Ingolstadt is part of the Catholic University of Eichstätt-Ingolstadt. The University Library was established in 1980, but its roots can be traced back much further to the libraries of the institutions that later became the University, Eichstätt’s former college of education (established in 1958) and theological college (1843). Many of its most important historical materials originate from Eichstätt’s former state library, which was created between 1806 and 1812 following the period of secularization.
The Universitätsbibliothek Erlangen-Nürnberg (University Library of the Friedrich Alexander University, FAU) constitutes the library system of the Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg and is the regional library for the administrative district of central Franconia. As an academic universal library, it offers its users a wide range of special literature from all faculties as well as numerous services.
The Universitätsbibliothek Regensburg (University Library of Regensburg) is a central facility of the University of Regensburg and at the same time the largest academic library in the region. It is financially supported by the Free State of Bavaria.